Z32 head gasket blown. What to do?

300ZX
tss

Z32 head gasket blown. What to do?

Post by tss » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi all, my Z32 has blown a head gasket. Now I'm faced with the question of whether to sell it as is or fix it up. So, I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea of what my options are here. I'm thinking:

1) Replace the head gaskets. I'm not sure if this will be an option as this engine has blown a gasket before and planing the heads more than once might create valve clearance issues or something.

2) Replace the heads. This avoids the issues of option 1 but might still not be viable. What if the block itself is warped / cracked?

3) Replace the whole engine. VG30DETTs can be bought off TradeMe for around $1500 which isn't too bad. But I imagine the cost of labour for getting someone to swap the engines would be at least $2k (no way I'm doing it myself!). Also, I really wouldn't know anything about the condition of the engine.

4) Sell the car as-is. I've been offered $1000 for it. Does that seem like a fair price? It's an '89 hardtop 2 seater turbo manual with 85000 km. Not mint condition but pretty good for its age. If anyone here is interested feel free to make an offer!

So, I'm basically just wondering how you guys think I should proceed. Trying to weigh up the pros and cons of each approach. At the moment I'm leaning towards option 4 as it's the most hassle-free option by far. But if I can get the car back on the road for not too much money (say, under $4k or so) that would be great.

Also, can anyone recommend a good mechanic for this kind of thing here in ChCh? Thanks in advance.

djz

Post by djz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:50 am

It really depends on how much you like the car and if you can afford to fix it or not, if you were going to the trouble of replacing the whole motor you'd want to check the turbos, cam belt, hoses, clutch etc etc while it's out and easier to get to everything.

Can you put up some pictures of it?
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:14 am

Someone is bound to have grabby hands with the specifications you've listed, being the more rare. Doesn't necessarily mean you'd get anything more for it given it's current wayward state. All the best with whatever you decide to do.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:32 am

Gearbox and all the bits to convert an auto to a manual are worth by themselves $1000. The slicktop/hardtop shells do attract a premium over the 2+2/T-Tops. However any purchaser is going to have the same dilema you have.

The problem with the 300ZX they are too expensive to fix compared to their current market value value. Engine out is around 8-10 hours and back in is probably similar. But it is all the parts you have to replace in the middle either to fix the current engine or the probelms with a purchased engine.

So $1500-2000 labour - $1500-2000 engine and probably around $1500 of the other bits you need means it get pricey. But at the end you would have an awesome car.

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:40 pm

The car you have is probably worth 9 to 11 thousand condition dependent With the head gasket fixed
The tin tops are sort after and the most rare of the Z32s
When you replaced the head gaskets what gaskets were used? We're they genuine Nissan?
Or are you running high boost?
I would keep the car,in a few years this car will be worth $20k
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

zfetsh

Post by zfetsh » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:51 pm

In terms of models of the Z32, you probably have the rarest - $1000 is far too low for the rarity of it.
The reality though, is can you afford to hold onto it, and do you have the room to store it?

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:41 pm

Genuine twin turbo slicktop with Manual - average condition have been selling for 10-15k within the last few years.
High mileage Manual transmission and conversion parts start from 2k alone.
Gutted rolling slicktop body 2k
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
Head leak / dye test $ 200
Full Engine Gasket set $335
Labour & misc fluids etc ~ $1000

Seems worthwhile to restore!

gman40

Post by gman40 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:46 am

You could always sell it to me ?