New OEM Garrett TURBO SWAP OUT 1991 Z32 2 seater auto

300ZX
Lance Louez

New OEM Garrett TURBO SWAP OUT 1991 Z32 2 seater auto

Post by Lance Louez » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:57 am

Hi there, Hope someone can help me out, I'm looking for x2 new OEM stock Garrett Turbo Charges for my 1991 VG30DETT engine. Also could someone throw some figures at me ball park on how much total inclusive to fit them including the parts. I just hope someone in our Z club have had to do a turbo swap out.
Thanks for any help
Reagards

Lance L

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Ball park figures around $3K for a pair of brand new OEM turbos, around $1500 for a pair of turbo cores (reuse housing if they are not damaged)

Expect to pay for an engine pull and all the associated dramas along the way - around $1K to pull and refit engine if no serious issues found.

Don't bother with trying to change the turbos with out removing the engine, you can do this, it's not all that hard BUT it's not the best option, so many other jobs can be sorted at the same time if you just pull the engine. If you don't pull the engine this time you will find at a later date you will regret not doing it.

What are the symptoms at present that have indicated to you to change the turbos? there are a number of things that can hint at the turbos but then bring tears after the turbos are replaced & you still have the same symptoms.

Lance Louez

Post by Lance Louez » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:41 pm

Hay thanks for that mungyz I was expecting around 4K

I have got underneath the car to see what Is causing the left hand exhaust to smoke (blue burning oil smell) have seen a small amount of oil leaking from the Left hand turbo so suspect I need to change the turbos

I will have the engine pulled as you have advised Thanks so much for your help

I have been looking on E Bay and there are some x2 Mambatek ball bearing turbos that will fit for around $2600NZ shipped. Do you think Mambatek are a better option than the OEM turbos or should I just get my ones refurbished?

Thanks again

Regards
Lance Louez

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:23 pm

I would only recommend genuine Garret turbos or cores.

The cost to replace a failed unit will quickly exceed any potential savings from cheaper brands.

I don't recommend overhauling the core as there is typically wear on the shaft that people tend to deem acceptable - only to have the unit fail shortly outside of any warranty.

Ball bearing turbos are magic for quick spool etc but again, just stick with high quality brands, There are many vendors in the states that will supply kits to fit various size turbos, be wary that some turbo down pipes require a little work to fit RHD cars (most are designed for LHD).

marrow

Post by marrow » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:28 pm

don't know much about the VG layout, but if you're replacing the twin turbos have you looked at doing a single-turbo conversion while you're at it?

Lance Louez

Post by Lance Louez » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:52 am

I am strongly contemplating purchasing the Mumba brand Kit as the quality and cost are looking like best value for money MUMBATEK.COM $2100.00 NZD Shipped this is the full kit check it here.

http://www.shop.mambatek.com/Ball-Beari ... egoryId=-1

Ceramic Ball Bearings better spoil up and capable of 650HP

New brand but looks just as good quality as Garrett

Any Thoughts?????

Regards
Lance Louez