High speed hard breaking shudder

300ZX
Greensheep
Z Club Member

High speed hard breaking shudder

Post by Greensheep » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi my Z32 2+2 brakes really nicely provided you don't brake hard from 100 Kms, braking hard and dropping the speed from 100 to 60 produces an immediate and very nasty shudder, yet gently doing the same braking the brakes are smooth, any ideas what is the cause?
Last edited by Greensheep on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

willythefish

Post by willythefish » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:53 pm

probably the ABS working

Jibber

Post by Jibber » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Id consider warped rotors if its not abs

DKNWSZX

Post by DKNWSZX » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:01 pm

Greensheep wrote:Hi my Z32 2+2 breaks really nicely provided you don't break hard from 100 Kms, breaking hard and dropping the speed from 100 to 60 produces an immediate and very nasty shudder, yet gently doing the same breaking the breaks are smooth, any ideas what is the cause?
How are the rotors and pads....? It is a common issue to get a rather large shudder under heavy breaking when rotors are warped/worn and need to be either machined or replaced. I can recommend out of experience that if you replace your rotors it is wise to get some brand new pads too.

Regards
Deano
Good things are worth waiting for, but great things happen at once.

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks
I don't think that my Z32 (1992) has Abs, I will have to take a closer look :?
Was considering replacing the rotors with cross drilled and grooved after market rotors
Has anyone tried the ones on trademe?
Interesting that this rotor problem can not be felt or detected under light breaking.
Last edited by Greensheep on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DKNWSZX

Post by DKNWSZX » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:34 pm

The best thing to do if you are not increasing engine horses is to repair your existing rotors or replace with the vehicle's spec original rotors. Keeping things original spec'd is the best course of action unless you are planning on really increasing the vehicles performance capacity.
Good things are worth waiting for, but great things happen at once.

djz

Post by djz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Could possibly be wheel bearings or worn radius rod bushes could contribute to it. If you have access to a DTI it would be very easy to see if the rotors are warped.

I would stay away from cross drilled rotors, slotted ones are fine.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:13 pm

If you're feeling it through the brake pedal it's almost certainly warped rotors, if it's more noticeable through the steering wheel it may be both rotors and worn or broken steering/suspension components. Pick up some new rotors, buy the best your budget will allow, thicker rotor walls are generally better.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:43 am

Greensheep wrote:Hi my Z32 2+2 breaks really nicely provided you don't break hard from 100 Kms, breaking hard and dropping the speed from 100 to 60 produces an immediate and very nasty shudder, yet gently doing the same breaking the breaks are smooth, any ideas what is the cause?
Have a chat to the good guys John (club member), James and Steve at Racebrakes. Financial members receive a discount there, and you will most likely be asked to produce your membership card. :wink:

http://www.racebrakes.co.nz
Last edited by BRONZEE on Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:56 am

Our Z32 had the same problem - yes, it was warped rotors. I had put slotted & drilled rotors on and it didn't take long for them to warp (I got rid of them) - stick with slotted or spec ones.
2007 (HR) Magnetic Black 350Z Enthusiast

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:37 pm

Andy wrote:If you're feeling it through the brake pedal it's almost certainly warped rotors, if it's more noticeable through the steering wheel it may be both rotors and worn or broken steering/suspension components. Pick up some new rotors, buy the best your budget will allow, thicker rotor walls are generally better.
Thanks Andy
Only noticed it through the steering wheel, brake pedal was firm
I guess that points more to suspension than brakes

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:39 pm

BRONZEE wrote:
Have a chat to the good guys John (club member), James and Steve at Racebrakes. Financial members receive a discount there, and you will most likely be asked to produce your membership card. :wink:

http://www.racebrakes.co.nz
Thank will give them a call :D

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:41 pm

kirihi wrote:Our Z32 had the same problem - yes, it was warped rotors. I had put slotted & drilled rotors on and it didn't take long for them to warp (I got rid of them) - stick with slotted or spec ones.
Thanks good value advise, thanks again

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:36 pm

David you drive like an animal ! You have probably warped the rotors :) You obviously don't listen to a word I say. I have always told you to treat you cars with more respect !!

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:02 pm

:D At least I don't get accused of drive aggressively like a certain 260z driver that I know 8)
Its only money to fix ( no such thing as a rich Z owner) and a certain amount of skin off your knuckles :lol: