Vibration under acceleration and turning right

300ZX
Hammage

Vibration under acceleration and turning right

Post by Hammage » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi does anyone have any experience with the issue I've outlined in my heading? I recently purchased a Z32 2-seater (NA) and it has a nasty vibration that is felt through the entire car when turning right and accelerating. It is felt through the steering too but is so violent it may have nothing to do with the steering itself. Having jacked it up and inspected all the bushes etc both sides at the front I can't see anything obvious. The front left shock is leaking but that's the only thing that appears to be wrong.
Before I start forking out $$$ to replace parts, does anyone have any idea what could be the cause?

Thanks,
Graham.

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Violent? Does it vibrate somewhat at idle?
What about condition of the motor mounts, and transmission mount? Also a failing tailshaft hanger bearing can cause vibration when accelerating. Odd that it occurs when turning right?!?

Hammage

Post by Hammage » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:45 pm

There's no vibration at any other time than accelerating through a right-hand turn. It's more like a shudder throughout the entire car and feels like the front right wheel is oscillating back and forth when it's unloaded.
I thought it might be the driveshaft center bearing too but it doesn't look or feel too bad. I may have to give it a closer inspection but the whole right-turn only thing has got me a bit baffled. I hadn't even thought of the engine mounts but I'll check those too.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:21 pm

Get your shocks sorted quickly anyway. Too dangerous to leave. Try jacking up engine slightly to see if rubber mount seperates.
All Nissans are racecars.

Hammage

Post by Hammage » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Yeah cheers for that.. I almost always replace all shocks in every car I buy as a matter of course. They're pretty much invariably stuffed in any used car as they're something people seem to think never need replacing until they fail completely. I can't stand a wallowy, bouncy car.

Hammage

Post by Hammage » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Well it turned out the rear shocks were the cause. In particular the left, which was doing very little for the top 30mm or so of travel due to leaked out oil. The left rear was tramping under acceleration when the suspension was loaded up. Problem solved - yay! Bring on Taupo (and Ardmore on the 20th Jan if I can get it vinned by then).