280zx Spare Wheel Cover

240z, 260z, 280z
Ped

280zx Spare Wheel Cover

Post by Ped » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:33 am

Hi All,

Sorry not been on here for ages, but I thought you guys would be able to help. I just picked up a spare wheel cover for the 280zx from a mate. It's in poor condition and the zip has disintegrated, but I am going to have a go at refurbishing it.

What I am after is a reference photo of the decal as shown in the image below. This is the only image of a spare wheel cover in a 280zx I have been able to find anywhere online. You can see the decal is sticking out from under the targa cover. I am going to draw up the decal and print it on some silver self adhesive material you can run through a printer.

Here is a before and after of the newly acquired cover....

And after a bit of a clean with vinyl cleaner...

djz

Post by djz » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:26 pm

I have one that might still have the sticker on it, if you don't hear from me send me a PM to remind me. I don't think the US cars came with full size spares and only early Japanese ones did as well before they went to a inflatable spare. All the original covers I've seen have been pretty much in the same condition as yours.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Ped

Post by Ped » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:19 am

djz wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:26 pm I have one that might still have the sticker on it, if you don't hear from me send me a PM to remind me. I don't think the US cars came with full size spares and only early Japanese ones did as well before they went to a inflatable spare. All the original covers I've seen have been pretty much in the same condition as yours.
Thanks for that. Even if the sticker is rough a picture of it would be a great help. Having looked at the spare wheel cover, I think it is saveable. Going to need to hand stitch in a new zip by reusing the exiting stitch holes in the vinyl. :)

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:36 am

I love your dedication to originality, nice one.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Ped

Post by Ped » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:46 am

bernjean wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:36 am I love your dedication to originality, nice one.
I'm on a mission. :mrgreen:

Jabo

Post by Jabo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 pm

I have a really tidy spare wheel cover but no sign of a sticker on it anywhere. Didn't even know they had one :) good luck

Ped

Post by Ped » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:24 pm

Correct zip now ordered up. It did make me laugh - the description of the zip on ebay said:

Excellent for:

- Bags
- Jackets
- Fleeces
- Hoodies
- Body Bags :lol:
- Backpacks
and Many Others

Should get that in the next day or two.