High voltage issues

240z, 260z, 280z
TrevI

High voltage issues

Post by TrevI » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 pm

My L28 decided to randomly die while driving the other day. I tried to restart and nothing would come on at all. Tried a jump start as we though it might be battery, that didnt work either, but we managed to roll start it eventually. I noticed that the dash volt meter was reading above 16v when driving it back home. We have since re tested the voltage at the battery when at 3k rpm and it is sitting in the high 15’s low 16v range (shouldnt it be around 14.4v?). Has anyone had this happen to them before, im thinking that the voltage regulator might be stuffed? Any thoughts?

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Yes, regulator probably, voltage should be 13.8 to 14.4, try swapping it out.
Last edited by Andy on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merlin

Post by merlin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Most likely a faulty voltage reg. I had the same problem. You need to get onto it quickly as you WILL fry the battery. and other electrics. Mine was caused by a loose wire in the regulator.

TrevI

Post by TrevI » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Cheers, got the local mechanic looking at it, grabbed a new battery expecting the old one to be shagged. Hopefully i can get it fixed so i can get down to taupo for the track day

TrevI

Post by TrevI » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Voltage sorted, was the regulator. Might have to skip track day though, need new front shocks, engine mounts, gearbox mounts and rack ends!