240z drivers side window regulator

240z, 260z, 280z
craig@nugget.net.nz

240z drivers side window regulator

Post by craig@nugget.net.nz » Tue May 30, 2017 11:42 am

Hi all

Does anyone know where I could get parts to fix/replace the drivers door window regulator which is failing.... any help would be much appreciated !

Cheers

Craig Pidgeon
Attachments
IMG_5111.JPG
IMG_5111.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 4565 times

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed May 31, 2017 9:32 pm

Depends on what is failing. I have repaired different issues in the 240z and 260z regulators.

So what is the issue?

Let me explain the issues I have faced and how I fixed them.

1. Window crank failure:
This was caused by warn gears within the regulator. How this was fixed.
  • 1: Remove the regulator from the door.
    2: Un-drill the spot welds/rivets housing the gear.
    3: Visit a wrecker - this was done year ago when Datsun 180B, 200B were still in the wrecking yards.
    4: Get a Datsun 200B window regulator that has good gears - I got a rear door = less usage. I suspect a Datsun/Nissan 720/D21 ute might also work however I can't confirm.
    5: Un-drill the housing for the gear on the 200B unit.
    6: Install into the 240z regulator
    7: Re-rivet or spot well or bolt (low profile) together again - I can't recall which I did way back in the 90's.
    8: Install the regulator.
    9: Have a beer job done.
2. Poor regulator movement:
This was caused by the plastic roller wearing down over the years.
  • 1: Remove the regulator from the door.
    2: Un-drill the rivet that hold the rollers at the end of the regulator scissor arms.
    3: Visit bunnings purchase some shower door rollers the correct size (these came with sealed bearing in them)
    4: Attach the new shower door rollers to the end of the arms (I used a small bolt with a nylock nut, some washer if required).
    5: Install the regulator.
    6: Have a beer job done. + your window will work better than new due to the bearing in the roller.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 pm

I thought I posted on here about the roller replacement but it was on another forum. This was for my old 74 260z which does use the same windows as a 240z, however a unique regulator due to difference in the 260z. As the regulators were missing from this car I used later 2+2 regulators (same as the later 260z 2 seater regulators) and modified them to work - had to mod the door a bit too.

see here
http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthr ... ild-Thread

craig@nugget.net.nz

Post by craig@nugget.net.nz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks very much I've located a 180b unit.... cheers Craig Pidgeon