Headlight replacement/upgrade - 240z

240z, 260z, 280z
Zeubin

Headlight replacement/upgrade - 240z

Post by Zeubin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello peoples,

After a big drive around the east cape a couple of weeks ago, one of my glass headlights has been cracked/smashed by a stone.

Does anyone have experience replacing the old glass bulbs with something more modern and where did you go?
Wanting something that looks stock and won't require upgrading the alternator.

Also, my left side indicators stopped working half way through the drive so wondering where to start poking around for that fault.

Thanks in advance,

Reubin.

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:10 pm

There will be heaps on the US forums but essentially Hella H4 lights and a relay to stop the extra current from frying your light switch
72 240z plus bits

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm pretty sure Motorsport Auto in USA sell a head light upgrade kit that provides the relays and plugs so that it is very easy to fit. I did this a few years ago and now I can actually see at night time. I've left the bulbs etc as standard though as I so rarely drive my Z at night time.

Stumpy

Post by Stumpy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:11 pm

You can get h4 free form 7" headlights from narva and fit some really good quality headlight bulbs in there and it will be like a modern car. And as for the headlight loom you can get a universal kit from narva also and that is the business. I supplied the parts for b101 and his z and I'm sure he will chip in about the difference! Headlights are narvA 72000 and I will have to find a loom part number

Zeubin

Post by Zeubin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:58 am

Thanks lads,

Stumpy, that sounds like what I'm looking for. Is there a website for them or do I need to find a supplier?

Managed to fix the indicator issue by applying electrical contact cleaner inside the turn signal stalk mechanism.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:13 am

Stumpy wrote:You can get h4 free form 7" headlights from narva and fit some really good quality headlight bulbs in there and it will be like a modern car. And as for the headlight loom you can get a universal kit from narva also and that is the business. I supplied the parts for b101 and his z and I'm sure he will chip in about the difference! Headlights are narvA 72000 and I will have to find a loom part number
Yup good lights, NARVA is what I fitted to the race car, not sure of the part number, plastic lens and much weight saved.

Stumpy

Post by Stumpy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:14 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 501748.htm

Here is a trademe auction for two of the headlights with bulbs. I don't know how much they are to the public as when I got them I got them through my work. But you could always look on eBay or something. The part number for the pair of them with bulbs etc is narva 72002.

Stumpy

Post by Stumpy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:24 pm

I checked today and the rrp for that headlight kit is 270+gst so that trademe auction is a good deal. Sparky was saying that a headlight loom upgrade won't be required Unless you decide to run 100w bulbs but the technology of bulbs has changed heaps so you can get 60/55w bulbs that are a million times better and dont harm the factory headlight switch with extra current/load

B101

Post by B101 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Stumpy wrote:You can get h4 free form 7" headlights from narva and fit some really good quality headlight bulbs in there and it will be like a modern car. And as for the headlight loom you can get a universal kit from narva also and that is the business. I supplied the parts for b101 and his z and I'm sure he will chip in about the difference! Headlights are narvA 72000 and I will have to find a loom part number
Confirmed. Did the replacement ( with the help of Stumpy ) a few years ago along with the relays and have never had an issue with it. The fitment was spot on and they really make the car look smart.

Its fairly cheap and the difference is day and night. Stop around and have a look at it if you like.