No speedo working after conversion

240z, 260z, 280z
merlin

No speedo working after conversion

Post by merlin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi guys. I have done an engine and gbox conversion.. Everything is great. I have gone from an L24 to a L28 and A series box to a C series RB20det box. Everything hooked up fine but no speedo (and yes the speedo cable screwed in fine.). Any ideas what could be wrong or other ideas to get a working speedo again?

Cheers

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Inner cable too short? Or not engaged at top :-)
Gears on gearbox speedo drive worn?
Speedo knackered?

Stick a drill on the end to see if speedo moves.

merlin

Post by merlin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:30 am

Thanks for the tips Andy. My gauge speedo works and the pinion does not appear to be worn. I have just read that the pinion is offset to the end on the cable (I assume that is so you can have a range of ratios) and you may have to rotate it to engage the worm gear inside the box. I may have to file another locking slot to lock it in place as well.

maaaaark

Post by maaaaark » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:40 pm

I swapped out my mechanical one for a electronic one from a rb so I have that spare
260z 2 seater l28

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:00 pm

merlin wrote:Thanks for the tips Andy. My gauge speedo works and the pinion does not appear to be worn. I have just read that the pinion is offset to the end on the cable (I assume that is so you can have a range of ratios) and you may have to rotate it to engage the worm gear inside the box. I may have to file another locking slot to lock it in place as well.

Seems logical its at the gearbox seeing you havent changed the top. Spin the box over and use an inspection light or an otoscope to see if its turning.

merlin

Post by merlin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:07 pm

I unplugged the cable and turned the pinion 180 degrees (so slot is at the top) and bingo the inner cable drive shaft (pinion assembly) turns when I turn the wheels with the car jacked up so I am getting drive to the cable via the Gbox. The cable is turning the odometer with a drill but when I connect the cable and pinion assembly together then turn the rear wheels- NOTHING!! If I take out the pinion assembly with the cable still attached out of the g box and rotate it, the odometer climbs go figure?? I have left it alone before I loose my temper and give it a love tap with a 6LB hammer.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Just sounds like inner cable too short (or outer too long).