Avgas Tuning?

240z, 260z, 280z
stanlonng

Avgas Tuning?

Post by stanlonng » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi all, Managed to get my hands on some Avgas and was wondering what is required to tune it properly in an old L26 engine for the Z?
Its completely stock (as far as i know) with refurbished 240z round tops on it.

I assume you would advance timing and change AFR, but by how much roughly?
Not gonna be permanently running Avgas, but thought it would be cool to try out :D
Didn't want to try running it until id checked roughly what id need to do tuning wise.

cheers, Stan

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Generally Avgas or race fuel or high octane pump gas just enables you to run slightly more ignition advance at any given point ( if the engine wants it) without fear of detonation. The only way you are going to be able to know what this is with any accuracy is by dyno tuning the car and adjusting the ignition advance curve to suit. Unless you have programmable electronic ignition this will mean recurving the distributor.
In basic terms your AFR is not going to change.
All in all it is not really viable to specifically tune your car for Avgas for limited use.
You may find your car will run a little better / cleaner and could possibly run a little more overall ignition advance which may make it feel a little livelier but we are talking small gains here.
Just try it without changing anything. And make sure its fresh, clean and does not contain water.

stanlonng

Post by stanlonng » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:19 pm

cheers for that