180zx S130 re-wiring, rust repair, maintenance .

240z, 260z, 280z
Wasral

180zx S130 re-wiring, rust repair, maintenance .

Post by Wasral » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:30 pm

The flying purple people eater is back off the road.. again :/
Firstly I better list the specs as its not a factory original S130.
Engine: Carbureted 350 Cui Chevrolet V8
Driveline: W55 Toyota 5Spd gearbox, 1 piece driveshaft going into a R180 factory open diff.
mostly everything else is factory I can think of.

While she is off the road this time I am going to do everything I can think of that is within my grasp financially.

as it sits now, about 600mm up in the air on ramps at the front and axle stands at the rear with no rear wheels.
The engine, gearbox, drive-shaft, diff, exhaust system and complete interior including dash is already removed from car.

-The rear sub-frame is about ready to come out I think (this is the first thing Im stuck with) I want to completely overhaul the subframe with all new bushings, paint it and look at replacing the hubs and brakes for something bigger/stronger if feasible. Whats involved in getting these not only out of the car but also re-installing? am I best having someone here who has done one before? - I started trying to get the brake lines undone from sub-frame but they're so tight I rounded the bolt on one trying to loosen.
-I would also like to remove the entire brake system including booster, Not only to overhaul the braking system but also to make painting easier (especially engine compartment) is this a task worth while doing? or for the work involved am I better to sand and paint with it in the car? and replace lines without removing the whole system?
-I have removed all the factory sound deadener (what a mission!) in order to get to some rusty areas to treat, its only surface rust and I have taken it back to bare metal, advise to etch-prime then paint and then re-install sound deadener? or would etch alone with sound deadener over the top be sufficient? also please advise what sound deadener products are advisable in NZ or am I better importing something? I have seen ratmat and dynamat extreme on trademe.. any good?
-I am going to either re-upholster or paint the entire (BROWN) interial black before re-installing, can anyone advise for or against painting vinyl interior? or fabric for that matter? or point me to a good upholsterer around Christchurch area.
Maybe best to paint the dash and trim parts/roof liner but re-upholster the seats and get new carpet? I don't know, any advise appreciated.
-Im trying to decide whether I just paint the engine bay and interior metal or do a full re-spray while the car is stripped, there are quite a few chips and dings here and there so I would be keen at the right cost. can anyone advise of a good painter?
-I am wanting a new diff, LSD preferably R200 but would probably be happy for a R180 LSD at right cost, you still got one daniel? ;)
-Lastly I am in desperate need of help for wiring but Ill start a seperate post for that :)
1980 280ZX, 350 Chev + W55 Supra manual (purple)

marrow

Post by marrow » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:53 pm

Only thing I can really help with is the diff, because I just finished doing my R200 diff swap. It was much harder than I expected.
-You need to drop the fuel tank to rotate the diff mount (because the r200 sits slightly further back)
-Your r180 probably has 4 bolt U-joint axles, where the R200 will have CV joints, which means getting new stub axles or companion flanges
-the final drive ratio might be different, in which case I think you need to swap the coloured cog on the speedo cable (I have yet to figure out or get this for myself)
Also I still can't figure out how to get (affordable) LSD internals, so let me know if you find them.

However with the amount of torque you're probably putting out with a v8, I'd say the bigger diff and the CV axles are worth the effort.. I see posts on facebook where people have snapped their U-joints quite often.. just letting you know so you don't have a nasty surprise like I did (then need to order parts from the states)