My garage find 2.0ltr Fairlady Z

240z, 260z, 280z
dave46nz

My garage find 2.0ltr Fairlady Z

Post by dave46nz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi All,
I have just purchased a 1981 2litre Fairlady Z off an old fella (not that I'm a spring chicken) that is a one NZ owner and been sitting idly in his garage since 1997.

Fortunately, the reg is on hold.

This is a huge change for me as previous to this it's been Hillman Hunters and the like.

Except for an unsuccessful attempt to get it running in 2004 there has been no maintenace or work done to it.
Apparently there was a fuel problem way back then.
So..........nice straight body, very tidy interior and not running.
We freed the brakes up enough to move it on collection but still tight as and will need looking at.

First was to look at the gas tank which needed emptying of 11 yr old gas (the smell was atrocious!!!) and removing the sender unit. That was just a black mess when removed but I've cleaned it up, cleared all the fuel lines and blown out as far as the rail inlet and outlet.. New filter, new gas.

Read the book and two relays are missing under the dash. No power to the pump (that was in it) which is kaput anyway!!!
Mike leant me a couple of pumps to try but still no go.

Pulled the other relay from behind the kick plate which was not operating.
Luckily it seems that removing the relay got something working in there, so now have power and a replacement pump to fit.

Meanwhile.........waiting to find a pump, I decided to check the rear brakes. RHS was very tight but I managed to clean them up, however I couldn't get the piston to screw back in to adjust, there are no no leaks from the seal.
I have had to remove the LHS caliper as once again the piston wont adjust and the stirrup is seized. Only one pad was worn (the outer) so some work to do there I think.

Ongoing........but fun in a scary kinda way!!!!!!

I'll load a pic when I get her out of my garage which is a bit cramped.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Sounds exciting! A real joy to get her breathing again and feel like a hero.
All Nissans are racecars.

dave46nz

Post by dave46nz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:39 pm

I don't know about heroic but got it running tonight so success where a mechanic couldn't get it going..........

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:32 am

Well done, I love looking at barn finds. keen to see some pictures.
Bernie Kant
Club President

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:40 am

It's great that your Zed is at least making steps towards being back on the road, very positive and keep up the impetus.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:03 am

Fault finding can be both therapeutic and frustrating, sounds like you're on the road to success!

dave46nz

Post by dave46nz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:40 pm

Ok, so a productive weekend just gone.
Eliza is alive and running under her own power.
I've freed the brakes up and have actually taken her for a 20km ride. She went well although seems to be using too much gas.
I'll have to check the fuel pressure ( which means take it to a garage)!!!
First time out of the garage my wife and I drove up the street, turned round at the intersection only to be confronted with a cloud of smoke following us, burning off all the oil I poured down the bore to make sure it was freed up!!!
By the time I got it back in the garage she was clearing up and no smoke on the second run.
The only things not working are:
Clock
Oil temp gauge
The aerial.
I havent tried the tape deck but the radio goes.
Attachments
Fairlady 1981.png
Fairlady 1981.png (58.5 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

dave46nz

Post by dave46nz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:41 pm

And thanks for the encouragement guys

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Well done Dave, you obviously got that sticking brake fixed.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Great another Z on the road. Look forward to catching up some day.
Bernie Kant
Club President

dave46nz

Post by dave46nz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:51 pm

Yep lol..... took me 3 hours on Saturday after you left..... good footbrake. Handbrakes working but the lever comes up quite high........
A work in progress......nice to drive, auto seems fine. The next job is to drop the pan and replace the oil.

dave46nz

Post by dave46nz » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi all,
Now back on the road, reg and wof.......pretty much as it came out the garage with all fluids replaced.
Gping into the garage next week to try to get rich running and a hunting idle sorted........doesn't seem to have as much power as it should, but I'll get it sorted.
Speedo has just turned over to 56000, done 29kms in it now lol
Cheers

dave46nz

Post by dave46nz » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:26 pm

I've taken Eliza to a couple of garages in Kapiti now and have been told how long is a piece of string.........
The old girl's going OK 50% of the time, the rest she lacks power and hunts really badly at idle.....stalled twice.
I turn her off and then on again and she starts and idles fine.....
Now It's been suggested I take the computer out and get it checked.........tempted to throw an old 253 in there with a 4 barrel......things were easier then lol

niroshann

Post by niroshann » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:35 am

I had an issue where fuel filter would clog up and car would stall or keep hunting as you describe. Stopping and starting again would get me moving again and it would repeat after some time. I found rust in the tank that was building up at fuel filter. You metioned that you have cleaned out the tank. Just suggesting to replace fuel filter and maybe flush back if possible to eliminate that as a potential issue before getting into electrics.

Buster

Post by Buster » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:06 pm

I've got our 79 280zx all legal and in use at the moment after about 7 years sitting in the shed.

Fuel system was a problem for us too. Was starving for fuel

Turned out to be not the pump, but the fuel pickup in the tank. Basically it was the fine mesh filter in the tank all varnished up.

The stock pump should flow about one litre in 30 seconds (against no restrictions) apparently.