S130 JDM fender mirror position on wings?

240z, 260z, 280z
Ped

S130 JDM fender mirror position on wings?

Post by Ped » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:16 am

I have a question about positioning of JDM mirrors on the wings (fenders) of a 280z (zx). I am in the UK so no other vehicles to reference, we got door mounted mirrors in our market.

I found a photo which is taken from above the engine bay on JDM car, which seems to suggest the mirrors are the same distance from the front of the car on both sides ie: lining up with rubber bonnet rests on the inner wing edge. Can anyone confirm this? Or if someone wouldn't mind measuring from the front edge of the wing to the base of the mirrors on both sides. I want to double check they are the same distance from the front edge on both sides, before I go drilling holes in my wings. There is some suggestion I have read elsewhere that they should be offset - is this right?

Any help much appreciated.

PS: Until I get my post count up on here a bit I cant post any pics, sorry...

jp280

Post by jp280 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:24 pm

Hey mate, I have one of the guards left that the mirrors came from, so ill get some measurements for you but I'm unsure if they are different from one side to the other.

ill try get the measurements for you tomorrow :)

Ped

Post by Ped » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks for that, much appreciated!

Ped

Post by Ped » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi all, sorry for not posting pics here sooner, the mirrors are still a work in progress.

Here is the pic I found showing the mirror position.

Here is the work in progress, for more details and blurb have a look at my post over at the zclub.netJDM Mirrors sourced at last!

My 280zx 2+2 that the finished mirrors will be fitted to.

As they arrived from jp280 (and thanks again!)

Tested, and they're alive!

Mounting plates, one was a bit ropey...

New one chopped out and shaped...

Weld through primer...

Mirrors rubbed down and primed...

Thats about as far as I have got with it for now. Will post more pics in due course.

Cheers!

jp280

Post by jp280 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:03 pm

Wow, they look great and you did a awesome job making up that new plate, look forward to some pictures of them fitted.

Ped

Post by Ped » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:23 pm

Am painting the mirrors satin/matt black to match the bumpers and trim. So far 3 coats of primer, just waiting for it to harden a bit then will rub down ready for the black.

Buster

Post by Buster » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:49 pm

I've got a 79 JDM 280zx S130 2+2. Just back on the road after about 6 years sitting in the back of the shed.

That photo looks correct to me. The leading edge of the mirror mount lines up with the trailing edge of the small rubber bonnet rest in the fender channel. Mine measured ~325mm from the front of the actual fender to the front of the mirror mount.

Mine are the same both sides. I'll take a photo if you want.

There is a fender screw in the channel about a third of the way back from the leading edge of the mirror mount.

Ped

Post by Ped » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks for the info thats great. It confirms what I suspected, they are both the same distance from the front. The image I posted is from an official Nissan dealer update booklet, so must be right. But you know how it is, someone sows a seed of doubt and you start questioning things... or at least I do. Especially since I am going to be drilling holes in my wings.

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:05 pm

Wow those look good mine are JDM style too, although they are harder to see out of :P
In a long distance relationship with my 260z

Ped

Post by Ped » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:44 am

Here they are in matt black enamel, I will need to get some satin lacquer to clear coat them. Not too bad for a rattle can.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:47 am

What are you going to door with the door mirror?
Bernie Kant
Club President

Ped

Post by Ped » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm going to keep the old door mirror on the car to start with, until I get used to the new wing mirrors.

Ped

Post by Ped » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:47 pm

Big thanks to jp280 for these really helpful pics! Nice one!

Ped

Post by Ped » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:34 am

Mirrors all done and fitted. They have worked out a treat, I am delighted! Thanks for the info and help, it would not have worked out as well without it.

If anyone is interested in doing the same conversion I have done a detailed thread over on the zclub.net.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:18 am

Nice Job. They look really good on the car. Thats a job well done. How did you sort out the drivers door mirror?
Bernie Kant
Club President