Fuel or Electrics

240z, 260z, 280z
Old_timer

Fuel or Electrics

Post by Old_timer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:10 pm

I took the 280zx Turbo out for a spin today. All went well until I turned into the on ramp for the expressway north of Hamilton. The motor cut out, I did a quick scan of the dials (nothing obviously wrong) and pulled over to the verge. The only light I had on the dash was the fuel light. I thought I had plenty of fuel but more on that in a minute.

I turned the motor over but it didn't fire. I checked under the bonnet, rather optimistically hoping to find 'something' that was disconnected, but couldn't find anything obviously wrong.

I turned the motor over again but still no firing. After a few more minutes contemplating whether or not to call my wife for a tow I tried it once more and, after a few tries, it fired up again. As I was already on the on-ramp I had no choice but to go north all the way to Taupiri, before swinging back home. It ran like a dream.

I stopped at a gas station to fill up and it only took about 15 litres. I thought this would be the case but my fuel gauge generally shows about a quarter less than what's in the tank. No issue with starting again so stopped at the supermarket and once again it fired up fine and got me home no problem.

This has happened once before and the behaviour was pretty much the same. Let it stand for 10 minutes and it was good, but that time it was pelting down with rain and I thought something might have gotten wet.

Anyway, if anyone can give me any thoughts on what might have caused this I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

Ped

Post by Ped » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:21 am

Could be the fuel pump has a bad connection, or you had some dirt clog up the fuel line? When did you last change the fuel filter?

Old_timer

Post by Old_timer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks Ped, that is one of the theories I've developed as well. Took it for a run last weekend and it went fine which was sort of reassuring. Anyway, heading off to Aussie tomorrow for a holiday so it will have to wait till I get back.

Cheers