Wiring Help

240z, 260z, 280z
Karljsw

Wiring Help

Post by Karljsw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Hey Guys,

I have made myself up a coloured wiring diagram for the car and have managed to label almost all the bits and random wires. However I'm not sure what these two are?

I gather this one is a resistor as it has what appears to be 100 Ohms printed on it. Would this be the speedo resisitor?

Then this one has Kanto - Seiki Japan 21600-AJ5015 on it. I have no idea what this is?

Any ideas/ help will be much appreciated :)

Cheers
Karl

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:54 pm

The resistor one will most likely be the AMP meter shunt.

I will check my parts catalog for the 21600-AJ5015 to see what that relates too. I will post once I know.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:11 pm

I can't find any reference in the 240z/260z part catalogues for the 21600-AJ5015 part number but my best guess would be something to do with AirCon given it is Kanto - Seiki as temperature is their thing.

I can tell you this mind you. In the Japanese S31z parts manual there is a buzz relay for the speedo that looks (going by the line drawing) to be the same shape/size and plug. So I would put 12v over it and see if it buzzes as it does have that ring to it ;)

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Here is an image form the S31z parts catalog.
Attachments
speedobuzzer.png
speedobuzzer.png (58.37 KiB) Viewed 4832 times

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:31 pm

Thanks Mike, I asked the Aussie guys as well so between you and a couple of them it's looking like a non factory amp shunt/ resistor and the other one is definately sounding like a speedo buzzer as there is a spare plug with the same coloured wires connected to the speedo. Now I just need to find where the red and yellow wires go after that..

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:03 pm

Alrighty

Have a few questions:

1. Does the green wire for the horn have 12v constantly? I assume not as I can't put my steering wheel on without blasting the horns

2. On 'full' beam are the three headlight wires (red, red white stripe and red black or red yellow) all suppose to have 12v? I currently can get what I think is full lights but no dim/ dipped.

3. I can't seem to get my indicators to work. Hazards work in the front but flash the brake lights in the back (have hooked up drivers side indicator but it doesn't flash) both have. New flasher relays.

Put the my multimeter over the solder on the stalk and it doesn't have power for the indicators.

4. Pass button on the end of my indicator stalk works

I don't currently have the coil or engine hooked up but I assume that wouldnt affect the running of lights etc

So any ideas what's up?

Thanks
Karl

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:52 am

So is the item in the red box the buzzer for the speedo. My car still has this buzzer fitted and I am keen to get rid of it. It comes on when the speedo hits 110 kph but actual speed is only 100 kph, so its a pain. I open the window and let the exhaust sound drown it out. My heater controls have stopped working so I will need to pull the dash out at some stage and then do both jobs.

I feel for you with the wiring. Its bad enough if you have new parts let alone making it work with all the old second hand parts. I guess to future proof it you really need to check all the plugs, 40 year old wiring tends to get a little sus. Great to see you processing well with your build good for you. been doing the body work on my sons car Nissan EXA Turbo (Early Model). have done nearly all the panelwork. Fabricating the bumper for it. The rear bumper nearly done, so I need to get inspired and back into it. Trying to take some time of work but getting into busy season so doesn't look good.
Bernie Kant
Club President

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:03 pm

So if that is anything like the speedo buzzer that was on my similar era 160J SSS that I owned many years ago, there was a little pin on the back of the speedo that a single wire went to and it was pretty easy to remove once you could see up behind the dash. Worth a look.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks Mike, will put it on my list of things to do.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Figured out my indicators.

Turns out the hazard switch is a dud, the hazard part of the circuit works fine but when the switch is flicked off there is no current getting to the turn signal flasher so no indicators.. Jumped the wire to one with power and the indicators now work.

Headlights are sorted, I had a loose connection in the circuit.

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:09 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have one or two of these lying around in their garage? I've got some at the moment that have 3 wires going in to the bulb holder and the actual holder uses a stop/ tail lamp bulb with 2 filaments which isn't ideal for a indicator but i could probably get away with using them.

Also got my wiper motor to work, needs a new power as well or me to figure out why there is no power going to the switch...

Thanks
Karl

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:55 pm

The offset of the pins on the bulbs is different on the park lamp and the stop tailamp bulb holders. You can not really interchange them.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:39 pm

Yeah the ones I've got hooked up at the moment are off the blue s31, so they've got the staggered pins and two contact points as well as 2 filaments. They work but probably aren't the best. The one pictured above came with the 240z and is the correct one for the indicators but I only have 1 of them...

I did a google search after I posted this and found a new navra bulb holder and wires that might fit so ill give them a call on Monday and see.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 am

Karljsw wrote:Hello,

Does anyone have one or two of these lying around in their garage? I've got some at the moment that have 3 wires going in to the bulb holder and the actual holder uses a stop/ tail lamp bulb with 2 filaments which isn't ideal for a indicator but i could probably get away with using them.

Thanks
Karl
Not absolutely certain but AFAIK BG? model Mazda 323 has those plugs, try a visit to pickapart.

Looking forward to seeing the "Gold Flash" on the road!

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:48 am

Andy could be quite right. All these items where not actually made by Nissan but out sourced, so that means that some of the items can be interchangeable between different makes. In the early years when I was panel beating we saw that a bit. Even now you still get the same car with different parts, e.g. Air condensers, Mazda might have several suppliers, we found that there were differences in pipe fittings etc. so when buying S/hand parts we had to make sure we bought the same brand of condenser.
Bernie Kant
Club President