New guy here in Mosgiel, sayin' hello

New to the site? Say hello here!
Fixopher

New guy here in Mosgiel, sayin' hello

Post by Fixopher » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Great to find this forum on Z's!

After taking my first ride down a US Freeway in Florida at 125mph in a 260Z at 1am in the morning in the late eighties, I've been hooked. Over the years I've manage to own a 280, 300 and today, a 370Z (2012 NZ).
If anyone would offer some tyre advice I'd appreciate it.
The factory installed Bridgestones are coming to the end of their useful lives. Road noise on South Island rough chip main roads is a big deal. I'm searching for replacement tyres that might offer less road noise without notably compromising other useful functional qualities.
I've had a look at Nitto Invo's and at pricey Michelins and moderate Dunlops. Just not sure and cannot seem to solve the problem by research, which merely turns up a huge variation in opinion.

Any knowledgeable insight greatly appreciated!

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Welcome to the forum! I too, have had a 280 & 300, but now have moved to a 350Z (couldn't afford a 370Z when I bought the 350, five years ago).

I replaced my factory Bridgestones with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's. They're expensive, and great on the road (low noise & sticky), but they're almost worn out after only 15-16,000 km! So, won't be going there again.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure others will chip in with advice, etc.
2007 (HR) Magnetic Black 350Z Enthusiast

Wzstoy

Post by Wzstoy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:34 pm

using dunlops on mine - been through 4 sets in 120km but thats probably more how I drive it :)

mine are 285/35/20 and whatever you get at that size is not only expensive - its generally reasonably soft... tis what it is, you have the toy you pays the dosh :)

Fixopher

Post by Fixopher » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Posted an earlier reply but it seems to have gone AWOL.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciated.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:00 pm

Welcome to the forum and fantastic to hear you're a repeat Zedder!

With regards to tyres, in the original sales brochure for the 370 that I have, it specified either Bridgestones, or the Yokohama Advan Sport V103. Now i'm not sure if the sizing is easily available in NZ, but the Advan's a fantastic choice for a Zed tyre in my opinion. They're quieter and more grippy than the Bridgestones.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Fixopher

Post by Fixopher » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:37 am

Helpful comments one and all, thanks again. They've really helped the focus.
Off today to flex a little 370Z muscle today and wear off a little more of what's left if the 'stones!

Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:33 am

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 2002 Nissan 350Z 'track' as I don't drive the car much and the previous Dunlops lasted 10 years/25K km
The PSS are a lot quieter than I thought they'd be and less road noise than the Dunlops.
At approx $2,400.00 a set, not cheap...but a lot of fun.

When I was tire searching I short listed the following:

Falken 453
Michelin PS3 (couldn't get 245/45R18 rear at the time)

Oh and also have Hawk Performance brake pads front and rear.