Hello everyone...'71 240Z in Christchurch

New to the site? Say hello here!
ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 am

Now I understand that post. Had me really lost.

Welcome Graeme, I see your in Forestry.
All Nissans are racecars.

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:58 pm

I would like to apologise to Graeme and you guys on the forum for my snarky post. I should have just asked him what he meant.

He was trying to help me out. Hopefully he's not too offended and we can get back to car talk and the like.Cheers, :oops: TC

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Cool. :lol:
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:36 pm

I took my 240z to Nelson last weekend where I called to pick up an old friend to go out for lunch together. He has a Japanese wife so my friend said to her to go and have a look at the Datsun. She said "Your car has a Datsun badge on it but it's a Fairlady. Two liter engine and they never came in this orange colour. Only silver, red and I think, black" I didn't expect her to know all of that sort of stuff. You just can't pick it.

Which reminds me, in 1974 I met a work colleague in the main street of Whanganui. He introduced me to a rather slightly built woman in about her mid 50's or 60's. I was 20 years old and at that age you sometimes tended to dismiss old(er) people, well, I sort of used to. Later that week he explained that the woman was in the RAF during WWII in the Woman's Auxilliary as a ferry pilot. There was me learning to fly at the local aeroclub and some little old lady I'd just met had flown Spitfires, Mustangs, Corsairs and other fighters and all sorts of bombers including Lancasters. And they used to ferry Lanchasters single pilot! I would have loved to have taken her out to lunch to hear her stories of flying those aircraft types.

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 pm

There are stories to hear from everyone we meet in this life, especially old folk. They have a lifetime of stories to tell.

I was an apprentice in the 1960s under a couple of guys that served overseas in WW2. One had a German wrist watch he 'borrowed' from a prisioner.
The other man was a Lancaster pilot. He told me of his experience of flying a Lanc home with two engines shot out. You know, at the time it
didn't seem such a big deal.
I wish I had listened more to these two men as they had so much to tell. They were both only in their 40s at the time, yet they seemed quite old to me.
!972 240z

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:04 pm

I had a post up in this thread about an unreliable starter motor/ignition barrel problem. The issue has totally solved itself. I think it has something to do with the car being garaged a lot of the time by previous owner(s) and the car not being driven enough. likewise, I think I had some stuck rings on the pistons for the same reason and they are now all free'd up. I had similar issues with my Kawasaki Z900. These old machines need to be driven and sometimes driven hard to get everything settled down after they have been garaged for some time and in the case of my bike, 20 years.

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:24 am

toycollector10 wrote: These old machines need to be driven and sometimes driven hard.
I agree. When i first got my car some 13 years ago, it had sat unused for some time, although the owner said he started it every few weeks.
I changed the oil every 500 miles for the first couple of years.
It used a little oil at first, but uses virtually none now., so i figured the rings were probably gummed up.

It runs better now after 13 years of weekend use.
!972 240z