WTB L28 engine

Old classifieds threads worth keeping around
ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:08 am

http://www.xenons30.com/Images/Engine/HeadCode.png
Another source of great info on engines.
All Nissans are racecars.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:21 pm

My L28 engine has N42 block and E88 head. The head may have been fitted to increase compression ratio to 10.4:1, this would explain starter motor straining some times. The dizzy actually belongs to my 77 260Z so if you dont need it, $350 for engine.

"It has been said that the E88 head has the advantage of being a ‘bolt on’ increase to CR on any L28, and that they are more plentiful than the popular P90. The E88 head has the same cc size as the N42 and N47 heads."

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi Guys
Look dont get all bent out of shape about heads etc. As mike said anything can be done with any L series head some just need more work than others and hence money. E88 and E31 heads can be made into perfectly good performance heads you just end up spending more money than if you start with an N42.
The N42 can make the power you want with its standard size valves and basic flow development work. This can be done yourself (if you really and honestly know what your doing) or enlist the help of a professional. Those i know of and have seen there work include Garry Croker from The Cylinder Head Shop 09-443-5765, Tony Marsh Marsh Motorsport 09-274-7997, Lynn Rogers Motorsport 09-534-3363 and Brendon at CSL Cam Ltd 06-356-3700. All these guys know what they are doing, have good reputations and are superb craftsmen and rightfully charge accordingly but you wont be disapointed
As for blocks find an L28 it does not matter what kind. An L26 could be sleaved into an L28 but if you want to build a genuine L30 you will end up boring to more than standard L28 sizing. This on top of sleaving starts to get real expensive real quick.
All these things have been done sucessfully before so just ask the right people. There is a lot of people out there with a lot of "expert" information (me included) but the problem is most of them have never done the conversions themselves.
I guess what im trying to say is i dont profess to know everything about L series motors but between myself and a few close friends we have built, run and raced more than a few motors over the years. We have also made more than a few mistakes along the way and dont like seeing others do the same through receiving misleading information.
Send me a PM and i can give you my phone number or come over some time have a beer and a chat.
Anthony

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:49 pm

ZMAD wrote:My L28 engine has N42 block and E88 head. The head may have been fitted to increase compression ratio to 10.4:1, this would explain starter motor straining some times. The dizzy actually belongs to my 77 260Z so if you dont need it, $350 for engine.

"It has been said that the E88 head has the advantage of being a ‘bolt on’ increase to CR on any L28, and that they are more plentiful than the popular P90. The E88 head has the same cc size as the N42 and N47 heads."
I will still buy that engine off you mate - as for the dizzy i will just use my 260Zs one so $350 sounds good to me.
74 260z 2+2

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for all the help and info guys , Anthony i will send you a PM and come round for a chat some time. I am just gathering bits at the moment so im not too worried about which head that engine has. I dont want to mod my L26 i would rather just mod the L28 block to get the extra cubes.
74 260z 2+2

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:48 pm

Thats excellent. Gives me motivation to get things done. Lots of problems to deal with with my Z at moment.

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:46 pm

ZMAD wrote:Thats excellent. Gives me motivation to get things done. Lots of problems to deal with with my Z at moment.
Thats good to hear man , i made a promise to myself that i am going to get this engine built and in the car this year.
74 260z 2+2

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:17 pm

Nice! Stroked motors seem to start at 3500USD. Unusual that a 3.1 six costs that but V6 engines around 3.0 - 3.5 litre are very common and cheap. I owned a Holden Torana LH I think it was(seems like a lifetime ago),had 186 cubic inch six.It screamed,pulled away in 5th at 70km no worries. Blew up(hole in piston),too young to fiqure out why.Replaced with 172(I think),didn't go well.Poor revs,low power etc.I think the 3.1 will be exciting,show everyone how to build on a budget.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:27 pm

I think it's cool that you are doing this, you know five years ago I bought a complete 280xz for $200 for the engine, I took the motor out and sent the rest to the scrap yard diff and all. Look now it's hard to find something.
Bernie Kant
Club President

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Yeah,would have been good if my wreck cost me $200. Actually cost $6500 and was a lemon hence the effort to get money back selling parts. Have helped a lot of people though and have needed the parts myself. The wife is happy it wasn't total waste of money.

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:13 pm

I could have just dropped an RB25DET in there and made huge power for the old 260Z but for some reason i like carbs and after seeing a few strokers on You tube i had to build one. Also you dont see a lot around and you just cant beat the sound of a well tuned L engine. Just my opinion though. Thanks to ZMAD and the other club members for all the parts and support so far. Even better that my car is a 2+2 so no one is ever going to give me stick about it being matching numbers :lol:
74 260z 2+2

Ricky
Z Club Member

Post by Ricky » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi Mike,
Here's what my tuned stroker sounds like, enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVannEFdTc

Ricky

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:31 pm

True! Love the sound of my six,really sings at 4000 rpm. All this has forced me to upskill in my engine knowledge. My 77 has P30 block with E88 head. Short block was done in 98. I shone a torch into spark plug hole to see pistons,they are flattop. Should be dished, careful examination showed two head gaskets,one copper and one black cardboard type maybe. Got to be to lower compression or prevent valves hitting pistons. Anyone got opinions on that, I wasn't even aware of P30 blocks.

True! 260Z more relaxed than 240Z, no pressure on being original yet but we all try to keep origanal parts for a quick swap back when value up.

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:49 am

Ricky wrote:Hi Mike,
Here's what my tuned stroker sounds like, enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVannEFdTc

Ricky
Thanks Ricky it sounds awesome. Thanks for the engine info ZMAD , i will be using the off the shelf rods that were on the thread about Andys L engine build. Cheaper than prepping and making the factory rods stronger. I will be going with forged pistons ( probably JEs ) those along with the LD crank should make it bulletproof for the power i want to make and give me the open to tune more out of it in the future if i want. I think it will be the head where i spend the most coin.
74 260z 2+2

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:43 am

Finally watched that video. Awsum to see and hear a Zed in action passing everyone and having some close calls.