R200 LSD

Old classifieds threads worth keeping around
old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

R200 LSD

Post by old_datto_fan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:43 pm

Someone has some R200 LSD diffs for sale at cheap prices if anyone is interested.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =210016179

lozgod

Post by lozgod » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:46 am

im keen to buy one off that guy but unsure what i should go for in terms of fitment for a 280zx
any thoughts please
no motor no sport
78 280z turbo

240z
Z Club Member

Post by 240z » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:09 pm

lozgod wrote:im keen to buy one off that guy but unsure what i should go for in terms of fitment for a 280zx
any thoughts please
You need a long nose R200 for a 280z the ones in photo seem to be the short nose.

Volodkovich

Post by Volodkovich » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:16 pm

You can fit the centre of a short nose R200 LSD into a long nose R200. You just need to retain the Long nose CW&P and casing etc.

lozgod

Post by lozgod » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:27 pm

well in that case does any one have a r200 long nose that they want to part with?
no motor no sport
78 280z turbo

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:03 pm

lozgod wrote:well in that case does any one have a r200 long nose that they want to part with?
what ratio are you looking for? I have 3.9 that I could part with.

Now as pointed out these centres will work with a little effort (ie the short nose centre bolt up to the short nose crown wheel which is typically M12 bolts (some of the S15 I believe use M13 bolts), but the crown on most long noses are M10, there are a few M12 versions but these are harder to locate)

So that would take care of the centre install - now you would have the issues of axles and shafts. Going by the price this guys is selling his LSD they will be VLSD = no standard shaft setup will work as the VLSD require a extra long input shaft to engage the VLSD centre. So it can be done but expect to spend some big $$ on the axle setup for these VLSD

Volodkovich

Post by Volodkovich » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:18 pm

Is there any point in going to an R200 for a tuned L series? i.e. how hard is it to break the r180 with a race L28 etc
I say that because i am 99% sure the r180 in my zed is LSD.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:35 pm

Volodkovich wrote:Is there any point in going to an R200 for a tuned L series? i.e. how hard is it to break the r180 with a race L28 etc
I say that because i am 99% sure the r180 in my zed is LSD.
Good question - Nissan must have had their reason for installing the R200's in the manual L26 and L28 powered cars and sticking with the R180 in the Auto and L20 powered cars. However I have not heard of one breaking that is behind a L6, only V8's and if something breaks it is usually the axles etc. My 250RWHP L6 had a R180 and it worked fine - axles were the issue still.

One of the reason for the R200 would be the ability to use the shortnose R200 LSD centres again I would not bother with the VLSD but a CLSD or HLSD is worth the effort. Now having said that I believe if you have a K R180 (has a large K cast on the top) these can take a shortnose R180 centres again keeping the crown wheel and pinion from the long nose R180 so this opens up some options too.

As your zed is Dad's old zed I don't recall that have a LSD when we had it.

Volodkovich

Post by Volodkovich » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:11 pm

Are you sure? It seems to hook up both wheels exiting corners (this was at Ruapuna), and i jacked the back up to check. Found that out of gear both wheels would spin the same way if one was turned. In gear the opposite would turn the other way, but it was very hard for me to turn - i almost couldnt by hand.

Did you do many drag starts etc with the r180? And what size were your rear tyres? No grip = no load

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:30 am

Volodkovich wrote:Are you sure? It seems to hook up both wheels exiting corners (this was at Ruapuna), and i jacked the back up to check. Found that out of gear both wheels would spin the same way if one was turned. In gear the opposite would turn the other way, but it was very hard for me to turn - i almost couldnt by hand.

Did you do many drag starts etc with the r180? And what size were your rear tyres? No grip = no load
Get someone to hold one wheel while you turn the other - if it wants to move in the same direction as the one you are turning then there is a good chance it is LSD - and not sure as we did not have the car that Long before Dad moved on to a 300zx (easier for the 60+ body to get in and out of)

Re the other question - None car only did track time and no drags (not really my cuppa tea, over too soon lol, but fun none the less and I would only drag with other zed on the strip when we have drag meets, but sadly moved that car on also - only if I could have kept them all). The tire question - 16x9 with 225/45/16 when I got the car and 16x8 with 225/45/16 when I sold it (the 16x9 did not have the brake clearance I was looking for and were almost too wide for the stock S30 body) and these were a good grip tyre = load for sure.

lozgod

Post by lozgod » Wed May 13, 2009 12:51 am

nzeder i'm keen on the 3.9 ratio whats the condition like? any Ideas on the kms?
no motor no sport
78 280z turbo

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed May 13, 2009 12:36 pm

lozgod wrote:nzeder i'm keen on the 3.9 ratio whats the condition like? any Ideas on the kms?
It came from a C31 Laurel Medalist Turbo - car was an Auto and was owned by a family type guy, he purchased it from his father in-law and prior to that it was in Japan. The car had done 130K and was in good condition - the ECU was F'd on the car and it would not keep going so he sold it to me :)

I will need to check but it might be the M12 version not the M10 = no spacers are required to install the short nose centre - however I can't confirm that just yet.

lozgod

Post by lozgod » Wed May 13, 2009 1:08 pm

sweet sounds like the go would you mind posting to queenstown?
no motor no sport
78 280z turbo

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed May 13, 2009 1:34 pm

lozgod wrote:sweet sounds like the go would you mind posting to queenstown?
post - do you know how heavy they are? I would prefer to have it collected who has time to deal with shipping - never home from work until well after dark and leave for the office before the first courier - joys of living at one end of Auckland and working at the other = 1-2 hours travel one way :( = approx 3 hours of the day travelling to/from work.

lozgod

Post by lozgod » Wed May 13, 2009 3:15 pm

i will see what I can arrange and get back to you thanks
no motor no sport
78 280z turbo