Rotorua Targa Tour

Events that other clubs or organization have arranged.
harlequin2

Rotorua Targa Tour

Post by harlequin2 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Z Club members were conspicuous by their absence! I think only 1 in the Rally event and none in the Tour! I entered as a Motorsport Bay of Plenty member so I wouldn't be embarrassed.
But what a great event, a real blast. Probably the only event in the world where you can take your road car and drive it flat out on closed roads for a couple of days. Nothing quite like honking down a narrow, wet, winding road at up to 160 kph and coming into a T intersection full blast, braking hard, giving it the big rally-wannabe sideways chuck and then accelerating hard out of the corner - only to find you've jammed it into 4th instead of second! Gets a big cheer from the spectators....
I found my 350Z easily the match of BMW M3s and the like and was quite pleased with its performance overall, but one old bloke in a Jag XJS annoyed me as I could barely keep up with him!
A great weekend and anyone with any aspirations for driving fast and learning how to do it should give it a go.
Attachments
targa2_141.jpg
targa2_141.jpg (125.87 KiB) Viewed 4761 times

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon May 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Great to see another Zedder getting into Targa!!!
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon May 16, 2016 4:38 pm

Great to see you enjoying the event, it never fails to thrill for us.

Four Z Club members in the competition, Masao Take(Japan), Leon Wood(NZ) in a 2007 380Z RS, myself and Anthony Baker in a 1972 240Z. Masao took out 3rd in category, Martin Dippie (winner of 2WD modern) in a 2016 GT3 RS 911 Porsche was first in Masao's category and a 2007 V8 BMW came second, so Masao was up against it and did real well. Anthony and I won Category 2 and (finally) Classic overall.

I am pleased that the club is able to support an international competitor and pleased that the club can once again hold its head up as competitors like Ricky Cooper, Anthony Baker, Mike Cartmer, Karl Sentch, Don McLean,Masao Take, Mike Lucas, Earl Cruickshank, Roman Schiff, Allan Lewis, Mike Coory, Leon Wood and others (sorry if I missed a name or am unfamiliar with a members racing history) take the Z reputation back to where it it belongs. Considering the club membership size we are probably punching outside our weight as far as race registrations go. And certainly our success rate is building as new members discover how to make a Z go fast.

There are a number of members take out dual memberships but as far as I know all 4 above registered as Datsun Z Club members, you should join us next time and stand out from the rest of the regional club crowd. :-)

limezed

Post by limezed » Mon May 16, 2016 9:45 pm

Well done Andy, Ant and team. A massive result and long overdue.

This really is your year young Andy. Smashing it at the festival, teaching Tanner and Scott how to drive and taking out Rotorua. Now there is just that wee event in October to knock off.

Karl.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Mon May 16, 2016 10:02 pm

Great result Andy, Anthony and crew - about time and may there be many more podiums. I'd love to be entering some more Tours but after 7 years have decided its time to spend some money on other things so it's great that we have new Z's continuing to show the flag.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Thu May 19, 2016 8:45 am

Well done Guys! Great to see.

Winning Targa Rotorua for the fourth time was Leigh Hopper and Michael Goudie (Mitsubishi Evo 3 # 969). Winners first time out, meanwhile, in Global Security 2WD Modern were Martin Dippie and Jona Grant in Dippie's new Porsche GT3 RS (#640). Popular winners of the Metalman Classic 2WD class were Andy Mygind and Anthony Baker in their Datsun 240Z (#203). Also back this year was former Rotorua man Mike Lowe and co-driver Phillip Sutton in Lowe's new Fiat Abarth (#564).
All Nissans are racecars.