General natter about Datsun/Nissans
edynz

looking at a 280zx, anyone one in Wellington that could view with me

Post by edynz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:51 pm

hi all,

Had viewed this car today.
78 280zx + 2
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars ... f=OMkkM1sY

Is anyone in the Wellington region that has done Z car restores.
I am looking to do as much of the resto as i can, including chassis rails rust in floor tray and a couple other places. Rubbers and likely a whole bunch of other stuff, but does start.
Think it could be the project car for me.
Have a bunch of photos, keen to talk to someone more experienced before diving into the unknown.

If ya able to help, can get ya a bunch of beers or koha :)
If no one is in Wellington but elsewhere, can PM me with a phone number/email?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Ed

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:34 pm

Should be someone down that way to help out.
Looking at the photo's it seems quite reasonable, though its hard to see the chassis damage from one photo.
The seat upholstery does not look original, but that's a guess from a partial photo.

It has series 2 front & rear bumpers, bonnet, B-pillars and and tail lights etc... so guessing its not a 1978, though that could be a typo.
Series 2 was 82 & 83.
Looking at the door rear vision mirrors and old number plate I would guess this is a UK import.
They did not have those mirrors in Japan, NZ, Aussie etc, or they are aftermarket ones.

It really comes down to the cost of the chassis repair, otherwise looks good.

You could try asking on the Z-Club facebook page, or one of these fb pages for a local Z contact...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZCarNz
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassicZedsofNZ
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:44 pm

I'm local and would help if I thought I could offer value but I don't know much about 280ZX models. I think you really need a good panel beater to have a look and advise. Might be worth paying one local to the car for an hour of his time to examine the car. I'm sure there will be enough spare mechanical and trim parts around but you need to evaluate the body repairs first.

edynz

Post by edynz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:43 pm

I gave this one some further thought and will end up passing on it.
Someone advised certain work ie. on structural frames needs certification so DIY not an option.

I will go with something I can drive even if it is in some dis-repair, very shabby looking. Want to have a at least a bit of fun before doing weeks of hard labor.

Thank you both very much for taking the time to comment and give some pointers, i will take note of the Facebook groups and for the future cars
Great idea paying to drag out a panel beater from a workshop.