240z Upholstery

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
SR240Z

240z Upholstery

Post by SR240Z » Tue May 12, 2020 4:21 pm

Hi all,

I am looking to get my '71 240z back on the road, its always been the forgotten Z in y family and keen to get it on the road for Summer.

The one thing that has never really been complete or to my liking is the interior. Panel wise its all there just needs some new door cards, seat rebuild, carpets etc

Pricing up everything form MSA and its getting pricey, happy to pay that but if there is anyone local that can reproduce the loop pile carpets, original seat/tunnel vinyl that would be awesome, I am looking for a factory interior finish

If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated if not ill go the MSA way

Cheers

Adam

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Tue May 12, 2020 4:43 pm

I purchased some replacement seat covers from MSA many years ago when I semi restored my first Z. I took them to an upholsterer to fit and he told me he could have made them here in the same material for what they cost me to purchase and import. Might be worth checking locally before you purchase from overseas.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed May 13, 2020 10:58 am

Hi, AutoDeck here in Auckland. I got carpets for my 260 2+2 from them.
When I bought mine they used cheap carpet and the floor mats never had stiffening under them. I bought a set of mats from Supercheap for the front floors. That is one of the jobs I still want to tidy up at some stage.

But I think these carpets are not actually moulded for the 240, So you could just buy a piece of carpet make some templates from paper and cut them out and have the pieces you need edged.
Go and see an Auto upholster. They should help with stiffening material.
Bernie Kant
Club President

merlin

Post by merlin » Wed May 13, 2020 7:26 pm

I found the autodec carpets were not worth the money so I made my own for my 240z
Working for a carpet company does have some certain perks. Just make some templates and then get the edges overlocked/bound and you will get a much better product than anything you can buy

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Thu May 14, 2020 12:12 am

I purchased a set of carpets from MSA a few years ago and quality was OK. Worst bit is that the drivers side plastic bit where your heels rest is on the wrong side of the car. I then added some Supercheap black carpet mats to protect the new carpet. And I got some screw down carpet clamps to grip the carpet and cable tied them to the seat crossmember to stop the mats creeping forward all the time.