GPS tracking

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
Pest

GPS tracking

Post by Pest » Mon May 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Hi everyone

I've recently spent some time getting a cheap GPS tracker working for my motorcycle, for security and tracking trips.

It should work equally well for vehicles, so long as you can find a mounting point which has good GPS and cell reception.

I've got it sorted pretty well now and have done it for a few mates as well.

If anyone's interested, I can put up instructions on how to do it yourself. Costs around NZ$50, with running costs of about $10/yr (Vodafone prepay sim)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (193.18 KiB) Viewed 3056 times

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Mon May 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Keen! Any options for long life battery? I.e race car, trailers etc.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Tue May 07, 2019 6:56 am

I've been doing the same for a while using this one in my 240z.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-p ... b83bcb-001

It's easy to find mounting locations in the boot of a 240z.

I'm interested to know what software you're using to visualise the route. The interfaces on my one are pretty old school.

One gotcha that caught me out for a while is you must use a Vodafone SIM because 2Degrees doesn't have access to the 2g network which they require.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue May 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Pest wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:51 pm Hi everyone

I've recently spent some time getting a cheap GPS tracker working for my motorcycle, for security and tracking trips.

It should work equally well for vehicles, so long as you can find a mounting point which has good GPS and cell reception.

I've got it sorted pretty well now and have done it for a few mates as well.

If anyone's interested, I can put up instructions on how to do it yourself. Costs around NZ$50, with running costs of about $10/yr (Vodafone prepay sim)
Go for it, It would be very useful. I have just purchased one of these but results have been patchy so far. Have used it unpowered on trailer, very poor documentation combined with user ignorance has given limited success. Does seem to respond everytime to the "where" text but can't always "arm" it to report movement. The sleep thing seems to hinder comms.

Seems to me that even for 3G units Vodafone is best as their pricing supports best economy.

Pest

Post by Pest » Tue May 07, 2019 7:17 pm