Fitting flares. Who's cut the guards ?

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
Langer

Fitting flares. Who's cut the guards ?

Post by Langer » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:10 am

Hi all.

I'm in the beginning stage of rebuilding our series 1 240z. And am wanting to fit the bolt on flares. Love how they look but a panel shop has advised not to cut the rest guards as it'll effect the value of the car and can't go back etc. I'm not wanting to build the car to make money off more build it to what my partner and I love. So my question is can the flares be bolted on with out cutting the guards and still look good if you filled the gap between the bolt on and original guard with a painted ally panel or fibre glass. You'd need stiff suspension the wheels didn't hit the guards. Which would make for an uncomfortable ride. Or am I ok getting the guards cut and shaped properly by a panel shop.

What's everyone done on their Z

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 am

Hi
I guess the first question is how good is your 240 , is it show room condition? If it is leave it alone the panel beater is right it will effect the value to someone that wants an original car
If it needs replacement panels for the rear wheels, my opinion is cut the guards, because you are going to cut them anyway to weld in the replacements
If the front guards are in good condition don’t cut them get fibre glass replicas and cut them instead
If you do cut either front or rear please make sure you keep the bits
Post some pic’s :D
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

Langer

Post by Langer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:06 am

Thank you for the advice. I'm about to start sanding back the body so will know exactly what's under the soon. It appears to be a very clear car but never know.
I'm not building it up to sell it but do want to make sure I'm not distroying the car if I do cut the guards

merlin

Post by merlin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:57 am

If the car is really original to begin with DON'T CUT the guards. You can never predict the future so you might have to sell due to unforeseen cicumstances . You will be definitely be dropping the value. Any mods you make should be able to be reversed. If you do cut them you can get a real panel beater (not a glorified gib stopper) to make some new pieces to go back in. That is just my opinion and my values do not reflect the values of ZCLUB.nz

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi.
The value and originality of your car aside, if you want to fit flares and fill them with wheel and tire you will have to cut the guard. To give you an idea. Take the inner guard at its highest point and project a line straight out. It will end up about 75 mm higher than the current outer lip. It looks really weird when you do it. It is what i did to mine.

adio
Z Club Member

Post by adio » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Strip it back then make your call. I thought mine was all ok, untill all the paint came off... Then the best option in my case was replacement arches in the rear.
If you find yours real nice then might not want to cut, or if rusty or past repairs then might make your choice for flares a easier one.

Good luck with your project

waidez
Z Club Member

Post by waidez » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:40 am

It also depends how much you're lowering the car. Mine is slightly lower than factory and guards are rolled, not cut. You'll need to have the right wheel and tyre to combination to suit. PM me if you'd like to take a look.

240znz

Post by 240znz » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 am

It’s your car, do what you like. Everything can be reversed for $$$.

What’s the Vin? Not many early HS30’s left. Worth quite a bit if done right.
Zed NOT Zee

12/70 HS30-00352
1973 240Z rust car

Langer

Post by Langer » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:49 am

Mines a HLS30 so left hook. But has all matching numbered engine and everything, original seats . Build number 2787

2 doors

Post by 2 doors » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:38 am

I dont see an issue with cutting the guards , the work can always be reversed and put back to factory at a later date, the downside is it will cost $$$ both times around.
As stated previously , make sure you get someone who knows how to fabricate sheetmetal to do this, and keep the pieces they cut out. Im a coachuilder and restore cars so I understand whats involved, its pretty straight forward, but easy enough for someone with little fabrication skill to make a meal out of. you need to be confident that your panel shop has the skills to undertake the job, as most collision repairers these days have lost the art of fabrication.