240z - Next Steps...

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
beeto

240z - Next Steps...

Post by beeto » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi All,

Looking for advice on my next steps in the restoration.

I have stripped alot of the interior, and have all the parts i want to replace when the time comes (shocks, springs, weatherstrip kits, electrical upgrades etc.).

But i need to decide on what to do next with the body. I have thought of removing the engine, and getting it sand blasted, but unsure if that is wise.

What did you guys do when coming to pre paint/panel prep.

Photos:
http://iforce.co.nz/i/3onz1hdz.yqg.jpg
http://iforce.co.nz/i/05lgn5b2.mio.jpg

Cheers,
Jason

merlin

Post by merlin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:23 pm

It all depends on what you want from the resto Stripping it right back will expose any flaws and rust spots that paint, bog and underseal hide. Do it once and do it right. If you are going to keep the car for a very long time, bead/dry ice/soda blast the whole shell but if you are going to flick it off in a few years don't bother. It will be just a waste of money and then the next owner will have to deal with it. I thought mine was good before it got blasted but there was a lot of flaws after it was stripped naked.

beeto

Post by beeto » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Cheers for the reply, My main concern isnt so much what i will find, but whether the sandblasting will do more damage. I hear some peoples opinion on sandblasting is quite low, and causes warping etc.

But i spose its just finding someone who knows what they are doing. Definitely plan on keeping her for a long time, so want to do it Once, and right.

I have removed alot of the underseal, so want to get everything done from seam sealing to top coat.

merlin

Post by merlin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Yep if you don't know what you are doing you can stress, warp and ripple the body. soda and dry ice is a lot less harsh than sand. Sand is used for thicker types >3mm and structural steel. The body shop should use garnet on panels

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Biggest nuisance with blasting by any form of non soluble media is residual left in crevices. Whole body needs pressure washing and vibrating to dislodge residual media after blasting. Air alone will not remove all. Important to select a capable and experienced operator who knows your expectations.

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm

And even when you think youve got it all out you'll discover a pile of sand/ blasting material on the floor after youve shut the door/ jacked the car up 😂😂

No idea when mine was blasted but still finding sand even after ive vacuumed and used compressed air

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:44 am

Definitely don't sand blast it. There are much better materials for stripping your car down to steel. Be very careful if you consider dipping the car as this will clean out any sealers and rust proofing material still in place, specially in areas that are very hard to get to. Unless you doing the absolute best job possible I personally don't feel dipping is necessary.
Bernie Kant
Club President

beeto

Post by beeto » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Awesome, cheers guys for all the info and advice. will keep in touch on how i progress