Still Wanted- carb set up for L28

Things, for sale and wanted - descriptive topics
CraigM

Still Wanted- carb set up for L28

Post by CraigM » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:23 pm

Hi All, new to this forum... trying my luck if anyone knows where I could find a decent carb set up for an L28 into a 260z.
Current motor has a single barrels just to get it onto a truck. It also came with original flat top carbs.. the more I read the less I want to keep them...
Want something pretty low fuss and reliable not too bothered on hp right now.
Figured the round top su carbs would be best for if anyo e knows of any... otherwise open to other options.
Thanks for any help, just keen to get the car running!
Cheers, Craig
Last edited by CraigM on Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevenewenham
Z Club Member

Post by stevenewenham » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:07 am

I'm not sure how available the 240 style round top SUs are.
Another option would be triple Webers.Not a cheap option but they are available new, and sometimes used.
Solex /Mikuni triples are more traditional but have not been made for many years, so second hand is the only option there.
Another option is fuel injection , as used on the US 280Zs.Talk to Bernie.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 am

Yep Fuel injection a viable option, will cost a little more than triple carbs but certainly delivers the goods. I have that conversion on my car. Basically a 280ZX manifold and you buy all the other stuff. I am still running my distributor.
Bernie Kant
Club President

stevenewenham
Z Club Member

Post by stevenewenham » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:47 am

A couple of other carb options at opposite ends of the price scale.
FAJS- a Chinese Weber knock-off.Way cheaper and mixed internet reviews.
OER-A Japanese kind of Mikuni knock-off with the advantage that they are designed to take the
widely available Weber jets.Very pricey last time I looked.

CraigM

Post by CraigM » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks Guys,

Keen to stay with a solution that's pretty mainstream in the event I run into problems and can get a mechanic to sort issues fairly easily.

Can I ask, is the fuel inject system relatively reliable etc and more economical on the gas? Assume it "delivers the goods" performance wise....
I don't have the skills to install so would lean on a mechanic for a good portion of the work - I don't suppose any recommendations in the BOP area?
Guessing as the parts are off the zx then they should be fairly easy to obtain.....and biggest costs in labour? Any idea of general cost to covert?

There are lots of positive posts online about a carb conversion system from Ztherapy in the US... putting cost aside (as I know its likely to be expensive to send over) does anyone know if anyone has tried this in NZ and how it worked out?

Thinking if I had to do triples then I'd just go new rather than hanging out for second hand. Assuming that only leaves Webers as an option...I guessing the Weber supplier is the best place to start looking....

If anyone knows of options for good second hand carbs I'd still be greatful to hear abut them even as an option to consider.

Thanks for patience...too much $$$ not to do the homework.

stevenewenham
Z Club Member

Post by stevenewenham » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:46 am

I would suggest the NZ Weber suppliers seem expensive compared to some US suppliers.
I'm guessing when I last looked at this our currency was stronger, so do the math.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:46 pm

I've got OER cabs on my car and they are no harder to look after than Webers. You can use Weber jets in them and they are easier to dial in due to a couple of features that Weber's lack, an externally adjustable float level as well as an adjustable accelerator pump.

I've done the numbers a couple of time re swapping to some form of injection but it keeps adding up to $6k plus - and that pays for a lot of petrol in a car that doesn't get used enough!

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:32 am

Old datto fan is quite right, I have a 260 with a 2.8. It started life as a 2.0 factory fuel injection. When I fitted the 2.8 there was not much work required to change to accommodate the larger engine, in fact, it ran quite well with 2 litre ECU. Fuel injection systems have changed a lot since there inception so I made the call and had mine totally upgraded. The performance difference was remarkable, but you do need to consider that I still had the 2.8 running on a 2.0 ECU programme. Is it better than a carb set up? of cause, is it worth doing? for me absolutely, I don't even know if I save on fuel costs to be fair that's not a priority at all. When I did the fuel injection I dropped in a Sylvia DET gearbox, when I got the car back it was a totally different car to drive. My car now runs a Link ECU. Would I do this if I had to start all over again? Absolutely, no hesitation. My motor is completely standard but has shown that on the track it is a quick as the later 300ZX.
At the end of the day do the research and set it up as to what you want.
Bernie Kant
Club President

nismofan

Post by nismofan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:48 pm

Hi . I have an l28 fuel injection setup , also the round top carb setup and a set of triple 40 dellortos inc manifolds . I also have a 390 cfm 4 barrel Holley carb and manifold . Take your pick . Let me know if interested in any of these
My wife thinks I have a problem with cars .( 7 classic cars and 2 motorbikes ) She's right I do . I need a bigger garage .

stevenewenham
Z Club Member

Post by stevenewenham » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:12 am

You're spoilt for choice CraigM !

CraigM

Post by CraigM » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:13 pm

Thanks for the offer Nismofan,

How can I get in touch to hear more about the options you’ve noted or maybe get some pics? Would be keen to hear if you’ve run all the setups you’ve noted and what worked.

Cheers, Craig

CraigM

Post by CraigM » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:55 pm

No Luck getting in touch with Nismo fan...still on the hunt before resorting to ordering off the shelf or from the US.

freykarts

Post by freykarts » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:56 pm

goodluck mate!

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:19 pm

Bernie Kant
Club President