Wanting to buy an unmolested RHD 71 240Z

Things, for sale and wanted - descriptive topics
ZBALL

Wanting to buy an unmolested RHD 71 240Z

Post by ZBALL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:46 pm

I’m trying to find an unmolested straight RHD 71 240Z (72 at a pinch). I know that’s a big ask. Hoping to become the next custodian of a lovely example. I know this isn’t going to be a cheap undertaking, and curious what the market is like. Is there anything out there? and how much needs to be in the budget?

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Unmolested could be a challenge and finding 71 or 72 restricts it even further. They are out there but you will be lucky if you find one for sale. Given the way prices have been going, a mint one would need to be $60K plus if the seller was watching the market. Some of the slightly molested ones could be easily put back to standard possibly. Most of us have kept the original bits so usually not too much of a challenge to revert to something close to original.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:33 am

Yes Mike is spot on. Will be a hard find. Prices for good unmolested cars are rocketing. I would suggest that you work out some compromises that you would be prepared to make and look further afield, I believe you can still find some good ones in the states but even their prices are shooting up and cars getting harder to find. You could also look into Japan. Although a lot of them are 2 ltr cars. Mine was until I put a 2.8 into it. Or just hang in there and be prepared to compromise a little.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Any particular reason you wanted a 71 specifically? (just curious :) )

Mike's in the ball park for price, even the Japanese prices have sky rocketed, could potentially look in Aussie as well maybe ask on there Z forums.

Good luck with your search :)

ZBALL

Post by ZBALL » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:42 pm

Actually, reading more, a 72 would be just as good, if not maybe better. I have come across a few late 71’s that look to be pretty close to crossovers to the 72, so maybe that’s what influenced me.

Appreciate what has been said about the market here, those who own the good ones, and interesting selling are not really anywhere to be found.

What opinion is there in bringing one back from OZ? Seems like there are a good number on the market over there.

ZBALL

Post by ZBALL » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:28 am

Sorry to whomever noticed that I accidentally posted 3 times, which would be everyone. Sorry for being a dick.....anyway... I flew to oz over the past few days to specifically look at a contender to bring back to NZ. Mechanically seems very sound. It has a few cosmetic indiscretions, but nothing that looks major. Seemed to drive very nice and tight. As It was the first Z I have ever driven, it would be great to have a point of comparison. Probably going to be met with less than favorable response, but if anyone would entertain me driving their early 70’s Z as a point of comparison, it would be hugely helpful. Would need to be 5 speed and unmolested. As I type this I can already imagine the laughter....but ya gotta be optimistic and try. Talking a 50K+ Car that I’m looking at, and to drive something thst’s a good match as a point of comparison.

Me....55yrs......respectful....and can drive.....for what it’s worth...... : )

otagoz

Post by otagoz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:20 am

Hi there

I've decided to sell my 72 series III 240z - just FYI - located Wanaka

Fits your bill except it's LHD... and possibly not as "mint" as you want - but then it's not going to cost 60 K - looking for 42K

Will post a full post in the classified section

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 pm

For your price range you can get a 1972 432R from Japan, sure some assembly is required :)

Click for more details

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:29 am

Sorry I was wrong went for ¥7,000,000 just over NZD$100,000.